Thursday, October 1, 2009

Elinor Carucci





Elinor Carucci is an artist I've been looking at recently. A lot of her work deals with her personal relationships and the idea of getting closer to someone by photographing them. Her body of work titled Closer is one that I particularly relate to. I have been working on a project that deals with my relationships to certain people and how they define who I am or who I have become and how those relationships effect my perception of mortality and humanity in a person, or sometimes the lack of humanity. I like that her work show an interaction between her and the people that she photographs. There is a sense of intimacy between them.

Elinor Carucci is an Israeli-born photographer who lives and works in New York City. She received her BFA from Bezalel Academy in 1995 but began experimenting with photography when she was 15 years old. Carucci has been exhibited widely, with solo shows at several international venues including: the Hafia Museum of Contemporary Art, Israel; The Photographers’ Gallery, London and Fotographie Forum, Frankfurt. Her photographs are included in public collections such as The Museum of Modern Art, Brooklyn Museum of Arts, International Center of Photography, The Jewish Museum and the Houston Museum of Fine Arts. Carucci is a recipient of numerous awards including the ICP Infinity Award (2001), and a Guggenheim Fellowship (2002). Publications include, Closer, Chronicle Books 2002 and Diary of a Dancer, SteidlMack (2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment