Sunday, September 20, 2009

empty rooms


I've been struggling with an idea for my first project. I've been trying to think of a way to incorporate new technique that I am and will be learning in photoshop with my base idea. It's still very raw, but I know that I want to photograph empty rooms. In the last six months I've had a lot of the important people in my life move away and it's been a really difficult adjustment for me. Three really close friends and two of my sisters is a lot to live without on a daily/weekly basis, and while I can call and email with them the lack of physical presence is a struggle for me. Whenever I think about this my mind returns to my sister's room at our parents house.. the day after she left I walked into this now empty space and completely broke down. Her room hasn't been empty for 16 years. The idea of photographing empty rooms and spaces is to feel through theses peoples absence in my everyday life.

I really do want to learn how to composite images and so i was thinking that maybe photographing these empty spaces, but showing a presence of these people would be a way to express this idea of their absence and also their continuing presence in my life.

I came across a blog that had images with people in the empty spaces. I don't want actual people in the space but I like the way this artist uses light to express a certain mood. The address of this blog is http://monicamurgu.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B02%3A00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B02%3A00&max-results=31


I also came across this stock image at the top of the page and I really like the light and the way the wheelchair represents a presence of someone.

I've also been listening to a lot of Damien Rice.. Grey Room is a song that been an inspiring factor for this project so far. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ylVSn6qo_Q

No comments:

Post a Comment