Sunday, September 13, 2009

Chinatown Art Walk


I spent last night at the Chinatown art walk and I have to say that I wasn't very impressed with a lot of what I saw at the galleries. A lot of it seemed very commercialized and more like stores or boutiques instead of art galleries. The exhibition Patterned After by Christina Muraczewski at the Fifth Floor gallery was commenting on the mass production of furniture and household items from places such as Pottery Barn and Crate and Barrel. The work seemed very sloppy and the ways in which the artist was trying to comment on mass production was very obvious and not all that convincing to me.
I did enjoy the exhibition at Sam Lee Gallery. This gallery featured a series of photographs called East Of Eden by Pipo Nguyen-Duy. He is a Vietnamese American artist who photographed the landscape and the people of Vietnam to show some of the after affects on both from the Vietnam War. I highly recommend going to see this series. They are done with large format color negatives and then digitally printed. They images can be somewhat over-whelming but are definitely worth a look.


They site is - samleegallery.com


No comments:

Post a Comment